The classic lines of the Georgian-style building that is now the
The building functioned as a center for political and social activities. It housed the city’s meeting chambers, offices and jail and served as the headquarters and gathering place of civic organizations and included a subscription library.
The death of George Washington was observed there in 1799, as were receptions and dinners for the Marquis de Lafayette and President Andrew Jackson.
Henry Clay’s body was laid in state in the building in 1851.
The building has been restored to its former classical beauty.
Please call to assure the museum is open, it was posted on the state website that it was closed until further notice so please, check first.